Lot n° 139
50000 - 70000
Result without fees
: 75 000EUR
Olga BOZNANSKA (1865-1940)
Presumed portrait of Louis Libaude, 1904 (?)
Oil on board, signed and dated upper right (restorations).
108 x 80 cm
- 1901, Berlin, probably Grosse Berliner Kunst-Austellung, n°165.
At the beginning of 1898, Olga Bozna?ska exhibited with her cousin, the engraver Daniel
Mordant (1853-1914), at Georges Thomas' (1842-1915), avenue Trudaine in Paris. She shows twenty-four works. The success of this exhibition decides her to settle permanently in Paris and she takes a studio in Montparnasse in autumn of the same year. Georges Thomas introduced her to Parisian collectors and made Bozna?ska one of the artists in his gallery. She painted at least two portraits of her dealer, one in 1899 and another when he was older. She also painted Mrs. Thomas, the wife of her dealer. Taking over the gallery of the man who was known as "Father Thomas", it is more than likely that Louis Libaude continued to exhibit Olga Bozna?ska and also commissioned two portraits from her, this striking portrait and the younger one reproduced on page 5.
Olga BOZNA?SKA (1865-1940)
Helena Olga Bozna?ska was the daughter of Adam Nowina Bozna?ski, a railway engineer, and the Frenchwoman Eugenie Mondan.
She began by studying drawing with Józef Siedlecki and Kazimierz Pochwalski. From 1886 to 1890, she studied at the private schools of Karl Kricheldorf and Wilhelm Dürr in
Munich, and from then on devoted herself to painting.
In 1894, she won a gold medal in Vienna.
In 1896 or 1898, she moved to Paris where she began to exhibit at the Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, becoming a member in 1904. She taught painting at the Colarossi Academy as well as at the Académie de la Grande Chaumière and the Académie Vitti. In 1908 and 1921, she was awarded the prestigious Probus Barczewski Prize by the Academy of Sciences and Letters in Krakow.
Olga Bozna?ska was decorated with the Legion of Honour in 1912. In 1924, she was awarded the Officer's Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta and, a year later, the highest honourable mention at the Polish Portrait Exhibition at the Society
Zach?ta in Warsaw, which confirmed her exceptional talent as a portrait painter. In 1934, she was awarded the City of Warsaw Art Prize. Finally, a year before her death, she won the prize of honour at the exhibition Still Life in Polish Painting in Warsaw, followed by the Commander's Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta.
Sources : Internet
Return to catalogue